Amy P plus 3

Amy P plus 3

Thursday, April 10, 2008

When's this guy going to be done!

It was general conference over the weekend. I made the kids sit down and watch with me on the Sunday morning session. This was a new experience for the kids...and a funny one. I remember that my mom had us do conference bingo while watching so that it would keep us entertained and partially listening. So I quickly made some conference bingo cards for the kids. There was a talk from the former general young womens president that was about what "delights" her. She was saying the word delight many times through out the talk. I think it was bugging Kai because he said, "why does she keep saying that word! And what does it mean!" I told him it meant happy, so he proceeded to mark off the word HAPPY on the bingo chart. Then Elder Packard was speaking about how the quorum of the 12 was formed and Kai was getting SO bugged at this point. He said, "When is this guy going to be done! I havent been able to mark off anything on my bingo chart!" He took this bingo thing pretty serious I guess. Once the Elder Packard was done, he said, "Finally that guys is done!" He proceeded to be the only playing conference bingo and winning every time since the girls weren't interested in the least bit. All they wanted to do was to dance when the tabernacle choir sang.

So, my take aways from conference...as I was watching conference and President Monson got up to speak at the end of the first session. I thought, "I miss President Hinkley, It just isnt the same" I was in a way sizing Pres Monson up thinking..."I dont know about this guy, we'll see." SIDE NOTE: For all of you amazing people out there that are thinking...HOW COULD SHE QUESTION?...keep reading please!

It took no more than a few sentances to know that he is the real deal. When he said, "Together we shall move forward doing his work. I pledge my life, my strength, all that I have to offer in serving him." That was so powerful to hear. The spirit was so strong during that talk. It was so powerful and filled with compassion and love.

I also love the talk about the "Daughters of God" by M Russell Ballard. He said,
"The first question: What can you do, as a young mother, to reduce the pressure and enjoy your family more?
First, recognize that the joy of motherhood comes in moments. There will be hard times and frustrating times. But amid the challenges, there are shining moments of joy and satisfaction.
Author Anna Quindlen reminds us not to rush past the fleeting moments. She said: “The biggest mistake I made [as a parent] is the one that most of us make. . . . I did not live in the moment enough. "

This is something that I am going to start doing more. Living in the moment.

No comments: